For those who don’t know, pitbulls are one of the most misunderstood dog breeds in the world. While it’s hard to believe that anyone could confuse this breed with vicious animals like Rottweilers or Dobermans, there are plenty of myths about pitbulls out there that need to be cleared up. From the true origin of these dogs to the ways they can actually protect your family and home, here are 10 interesting facts about pitbulls that you might not know yet.
1) The name Pit Bull
The name Pit Bull is a generic term that people often use to describe any type of dog that falls under the pit bull category. This includes American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, and American Staffordshire Terriers. They are also called Pits or Pit Bulls.
2) One of the most dog-aggressive breeds
One of the most dog-aggressive breeds is the Pit Bull. In a study, it was found that on average, Pit Bulls were responsible for more human fatalities than any other breed. They have also been banned in many countries around the world and are outlawed in seven states.
3) Formerly used as fighting dogs
Pitbulls were originally bred in England during the 1800’s to be fighting dogs. They are a mix of bulldog and terrier breeds. The American pit bull terrier (APBT) is a descendent of the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which is where it gets its name. Pit bulls were bred to bait bulls and other animals such as bears, but also to fight each other.
4) Can be both aggressive and friendly
Despite the mixed opinions on pitbulls, they are not inherently aggressive. Pitbulls often have a bad rap due to their breeding and training. They can be very loving animals with the right owner. A breed cannot do what it is not bred to do; pitbulls were bred as fighting dogs. Even if an animal has been neutered, if he’s in an environment where aggression is rewarded and encouraged he may still act out in this way. The best thing owners of any dog breed can do is keep their pet under control at all times, whether it’s by leash or voice command.
5) Highly intelligent and powerful dogs
- Pitbulls are a mix of bulldog and terrier breeds and were originally bred to bait bulls. They were crossbred with terriers to give them more agility and tenacity.
- Pitbulls are the most abused breed in America, but they can also be among the most lovable dogs around.
6) Well suited to a variety of activities
Pitbulls are athletic and intelligent dogs, which means they excel in a variety of activities. They’re highly trainable, so they’re often used as seeing-eye dogs and drug-sniffing dogs. Pitbulls also make good therapy dogs because they have a very gentle temperament. Plus, these cuddly canines love to snuggle!
7) A larger variant of today’s Pit Bull is known as The American Bully, which falls under the umbrella term, bully breed.
The American Bully is a type of bully breed that falls under the umbrella term bully breeds. The American Bully is a larger variant of today’s Pit Bull. Pit Bulls are well known for their tenacity and aggression, which they use to guard their territory. These dogs have been bred as pets since the 1800s and were originally used in blood sports like bull baiting and bear baiting, but with dog fighting becoming illegal, it fell out of favor as a sport.: Pit Bulls are well-known for their tenacity and aggression, which they use to guard their territory.
8) Intelligent and eager for love, but best with experienced owners who can appreciate their strength and work with them rather than against them.
Pitbulls are an athletic and intelligent breed of dog. They are known to be loving, affectionate, and eager for attention. Pitbulls need owners who can appreciate their strengths and work with them rather than against them. When they know you’re on their side, pitbulls will do anything for you.
9) They are #1 in human bite incidents among dogs over 20lbs from 1980-1998 (315 incidences recorded in those years).
The pitbull is one of the most popular breeds in America. The breed originated from England, and spread to America after the Civil War. They were bred to be a fighting dog, but due to their popularity as a family pet, they are now known as one of the most affectionate breeds on the market today.
10) Even though they can look ferocious when on guard or alert, this breed makes an excellent family pet – with proper socialization.
Pitbulls have a bad reputation, but they make wonderful family pets. Though they can look aggressive when on guard or alert, this breed can be affectionate and playful. With proper socialization, pit bulls are often friendly and loyal to their owners.