Chickens may seem like the least important animals in the farm but they are very important to the farm eco system. The chicken’s natural qualities make them hardy, adaptable and disease resistant allowing you to keep them even in your small farm. In this article we are listing down the top 10 reasons why you need chicken in your farm. Find out below!
1) For Pollination
- Chickens are natural pollinators, meaning they help with the reproduction of flowers, plants and trees that they visit.
- The droppings from chickens provide natural fertilizer which is a great organic way to naturally fertilize your garden plants.
- The droppings can also be composted for use on your garden plants as well as other household plants and vegetables.
2) For Health
Chickens can provide you with a healthy source of protein. They are an excellent choice for a sustainable farm because they can produce eggs and meat. The eggs they produce contain all of the essential amino acids in the human diet, which means that they are a complete protein source. Furthermore, chickens have been shown to reduce exposure to pesticides by eating bugs and other pests that would otherwise be toxic to humans.
3) For Treats
- Chicken is a great source of protein that is accessible and affordable to most people.
- To get the best taste, choose organic, free-range chickens that are raised on pasture with the opportunity to roam around in an open field and eat natural grasses.
- The meat from a range-fed chicken has a better flavor than those kept indoors all their lives, thanks to higher levels of omega-3s and vitamin E.
4) For Eggs
- Eggs are a versatile food. They can be eaten in many different ways and with many different foods.
- To get the most out of your eggs, eat them as close to their expiration date as possible.
- There’s no such thing as too much protein, so stock up on eggs to help keep you healthy.
5) For Profit
- Chickens are great at pest control. This is because they gobble up bugs, slugs, snails and other pests. Not only that, but they’ll also scratch the soil and eat seeds that are on the ground.
- Chickens can be used to fertilize your garden or yard with their droppings as it contains nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium and other nutrients that plants need to grow.
6) For Pests
Keeping chickens near your garden and farm is a natural way to keep pests away. Chickens love eating the bugs that would otherwise chew up your crops, like snails, slugs and cutworms. They’ll also eat common garden pests such as aphids, leafhoppers and grasshoppers.
7) To Calm Your Livestock
-Chickens eat bugs and provide natural pest control
-They help fertilize the soil with their manure -The eggs that they lay are a great source of protein for you, your family and your farm animals.
-You can raise chickens for meat by harvesting them when they are full grown.
-Their feathers can be used to fill pillows or create insulation for your barn or home.
8) for Fun
If you want to make a farm, it is important to have chickens. Chickens are the basis of many farm-related occupations, like egg and meat production. They produce eggs that can be used in many different recipes, as well as meat that can be cooked in a variety of ways. With some work and patience, your chicken farm will be thriving in no time!
9) for the Future
In the future, we will have a huge demand for chicken. There will be an increase in the population, and with our current system of farms, there is not going to be enough meat to feed everyone. Luckily, as technology advances, it will become easier and easier to grow chicken meat in labs. The lab-grown meats are often healthier than their farm-raised counterparts because they do not contain hormones or antibiotics that can lead to illness.
10) Because it’s Awesome.
Chickens are awesome. They’re fun to watch, easy to take care of and provide eggs and meat for your family. Chickens are an essential part of any farm because they provide a lot of benefits for the farmer. Some reasons why you need chickens in your farm include: